Amphibians, Biology, Chernobyl, Ecology, Fieldwork, frogs, Radioecology, Research, Science, Ukraine, Wildlife, Zoology
25 May 2018
A bit late this update of our last day in the #ChernobylFrogs18 campaign, but that’s what happens when you arrive home from Ukraine to find a general failure of internet in your neighborhood that will last for a week…
This was the final day of our 2018 campaign in Ukraine investigating the effects of the chronic exposure to the radiation released by the Chernobyl accident on the amphibians.
It was time to go for the last time to our lab at Slavutych, check the dry shipper levels once more, and put everything in the van that will transport us to Kiev airport. This time, we travelled with our expert in bureaucracy from the Chornobyl Centre, to help us with the export and flight permits. This time the trip was not as shaky as the previous one, a much better road that in about two hours leave us to the airport.
Once there, the first stop was with the airport veterinary, to check that all our samples were in order, and we had all the permits needed to fly with them. It took about one hour of waiting but there was no problem at the end. Next stop was at the oversized luggage for Jean-Marc, the first to fly and the one carrying the dry shipper. Again, all fine, it as last year… However, this lack of problems did not last until the end. Soon by realize that Jean-Marc flight to Frankfurt was delayed. So much delayed that we star fearing about his possibilities to make the connection to Marseille (only 1:05h between the two flights). At the end, the flight took off with about one hour of delay. To me, it was clear that it was not possible for him (even less for the oversized shipper) to make the connection. And, even worse, that flight was the last one to Marseille that day, with a strike of traffic controllers organized for the following day. Things did not look good. If something happens to the shipper, all the work of these days could be at risk, most of our samples lost.
With this on mind, it was time for Pablo and me to get our flight back to Sweden. We arrived even before scheduled, just to know that somehow (I still don’t understand how…) Jean-Marc and the shipper were in Marseille. No problems, all good. All happy!!!
Now, it is time for us to organize this material, all the data and samples collected during this intensive campaign. Soon, Jean-Marc will fly here with part of the samples that we will analize here. Others will stay in France for other different analyses. Time also to rest a bit.
Next, and final post of the campaign will be a summary of all our work during these weeks in Ukraine, a great time spent with our amazing Ukrainian colleagues, and with a very successful result.